This is an inspirational podcast. Catherine runs an organisation called Defy that works with prisoners in the US to give them a second chance through an intensive training program and then, after their release, support.
I am not going to try to summarise everything because it’s so worthwhile and inspiring listening to Catherine.
My brief takeaways:
– the dangers of the self critical voices in our heads
– the power of forgiving yourself, the power of forgiving others
– getting the balance right between realism, positivity and negative self talk
– inspiration to set challenging goals and going after them
– being unafraid to contact people and keep at asking them (nicely) until you get what you want, and how to form connections with them (research commonalities)
– the dangers of having to live up to a perfect ideal in society, church or organisations
– the assumptions we make about those in prison
– what does it feel like to be an ex convict: imagine what it would be like to be identified by, and reminded of your most shameful moment every day of your life
– the inspiration to give something back to society and in particular, that everyone willing to own their past mistakes and wanting to change, deserves a second chance
– focusing on the 5% that you can do, that no one else can do
– writing your own eulogy as you expect it will play out on your current life course versus how you would like it to play out and what 10 changes you need to make to make that a reality?
Listen, learn and be more compassionate towards yourself and others.